Lent is the season of the church year that takes place during the 40 days before Easter Sunday, not including Sundays. It is a season for reflection on the last weeks of Jesus’ life and his call to us as disciples who seek to follow in his path.
In 2016, Lent begins on Wednesday, February 10. However, our Lenten sermon series, “The Villains of Lent,” actually began 2 weeks earlier, on January 24. (If you miss a week, audio podcasts are available on our website.)
Check out our brochure that describes our Lenten worship services, book studies, youth activities and other special events. Printed copies will be mailed to all recipients of the Communicator. They are also available at the Information table by the west entrance, in the main office, and from the Welcome Table in the Gathering Space.
This page will be updated with many additions, changes, etc. so be sure to check back occasionally for the latest news.
Updates and ideas for your Lenten journey will be listed below, as they are available.
- Lent brochure 2016 – our full look at all of our events, services, classes and so on.
- Our Lenten promo video, featuring the Villains of Lent.
- Interested in learning more about Lent? Curious what other United Methodist churches are doing during this season? Start your search at UMC.org’s Lenten page.
- Although created with church leaders in mind, the Lenten resources at Discipleship Resources are really incredible and useful for everyone.
- A Season of Becoming is a spiritual resource written by 47 different individuals from across the Reconciling Network.
- Enjoy taking photos? Perhaps doing so might be your Lenten practice.
- Another suggestion for Lent – write a note each day to someone. Here’s a guide to go by.
- Here’s a simple idea for making this a meaningful Lent – declutter your life.
- You’ll find literally hundreds of interesting, creative, and justice-focused ideas for Lent at Simple Living Works.
- Enjoy new hymns? Check out Carolyn Winfree Gillette’s writings, which are terrific both as hymns and as poetry.
- Lent Madness – a fun website for Lent, complete with a Lenten devotional bracket that features daily devotionals from historic Christian saints.